The other night I made a homemade gluten-free bread, I had a couple of my slices at dinner, and then stored the rest away. Today I had the wild idea to use the rest of the loaf to make homemade stuffing. No planned recipe, I just winged it and it worked out perfectly! (Even my hubby who usually avoids my “healthy” kitchen experiments loved it!) You don’t need to buy extra ingredients, just use what you have in the fridge and pantry already.
Easy-Peasy Vegan Gluten-free Stuffing (not just for the holidays!)
-1 c diced veggies of choice (I used carrots, white onion, and celery)
-1/3 c Earth Balance (or other non-dairy butter)
-Spices! I used 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1/4 teaspoon thyme, pinch of fresh sage, and salt and pepper to taste.
-2 cups vegetable broth
-4 heaping cups of bread (use up that older, drier bread!)
1) Set your bread out on the counter for about an hour to let it dry out, then cut them into approximately 1/2-1 inch cubes.
2) Preheat oven to 350F.
3) Sauté the veggies and spices in the Earth Balance butter for about 5 minutes.
4) Add the broth to the veggies and spices and cook an additional 3-5 minutes.
5) Add the cubed bread into the pot of veggies, spices and broth. Mix well.
6) Pour stuffing into a small casserole dish (mine is 8x8) and bake for 25 minute uncovered.
Enjoy + Happy Holidays!